Thursday, July 23, 2009

The sock bug is nibbling at my toe...Or maybe it's Noro






There's so much I want to share...


I went to the yarn store on my day off with two great gals...oh the fun we had! Despite soggy feet to start the day off, I forgot all my troubles in the yarn store. I can't imagine being in a shop with a no-touch policy. It's not that I'm super touchy-feely, at least not like I picture girls to be, but I'm horribly indecisive. I want to give each yarn a fair chance to be honored as a decent bit of gorgeousness. Well, I'm very grateful I had a voice of reason with me who helped me admit that I can write down the names of the skeins that will be there when I come back next time, so that I could focus my purchases and get it sorta near what I had planned for. Ha. Sorry, my little nudibranch, but you must wait a little longer before you are born!


I think my frantic buzzing about the store must have annoyed the owners a bit. At least, I annoyed myself. By the end, I was on so much sensory overload that I was unable to speak clearly or intelligibly. I did come away with a few goodies, though, including a hank of magenta Manos del Uruguay, enough Cascade 220 in Azure blue (kinda tealish) for a sweater, and (drumroll)... a couple pounds of chocolatey Romney fleece. This will be my first venture into working with raw, or nearly raw, fiber. (Insert crazy man laugh here)


My post-LYS therapy involved a sock I'm working on in Noro Silk Garden Sock yarn for Cat Bordhi's Coriolis pattern. I'm having fun plugging in the numbers and writing them down in my little black book. I just turned the heel, and IT FITS!!! I’m lovin everything about this sock…the colors, the feel of the yarn, the fit…I don’t know, but the sock bug may have bitten me tonight for the first time.


I finally got my rear in gear and finished my Noro striped scarf, as per Brooklyn Tweed. I used two colorways in Noro's Yuzen, and I like them together. I wondered what would go with this rather dark scarf--until I told my lil' sis she needed a bit of color to brighten up her army green top. So, guys and gals, I think I have just the ticket if you like dark neutrals. This.

It's soft, too. I'm not a Noro snob, but I think everyone who complains about Noro needs to just lie down for a while. It doesn't have to be scratchy, and its quirks are made up for in the final product. I was about to say you just can't come up with stuff like this, but as I am knitting the sock, that is exactly what I want to attempt. I keep thinking my next plan is to knit socks using singles I've spun (or will spin)...it can't be much crazier than the Silk Garden Sock is. It's uneven, it twists up on itself, and it makes me want to scream because I like it alot when I try it on. I may be overexcited, but it still does make one great sock, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment