Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I've been a naughty blogger

I'm way past due on this, and have been digging a hole deeper and deeper.  As a dear friend once said, dig the hole deep enough and you can hide in it.  I think I've been doing just that.  Before I describe  much of Rhinebeck, I feel like updating a bit.  Which, as it turns out, has some overlap with Rhinebeck.  So fret no more.



I've been knitting and spinning a good bit...what's new?  I've had a number of false starts, though, so not much to show for it.  I messed around with some carders and tried my hands at woolen spinning.  (This has to do with the direction the fibers are being drawn into the yarn.)  This is black shetland wool and grey alpaca/wool blend, which I attempted to card together for a sort of salt/pepper variegated yarn.  After getting some more instruction on carding, I decided that this wool will be lovely, but not as the sweater I had originally intended.  I was happy to find what I wanted at Loop, having met a bit of disappointment at Rhinebeck looking for a grey/black worsted weight yarn.

I was happy to find this fiber at Rhinebeck:


These are my big, fuzzy balls, as Aaron put it.  Nice touch, man.
It is spinning up into this:




It seems to have a bit of a sheen, and that lovely green peeks through the neutral color.  I must say here that I was obsessed with green at Rhinebeck, so it's only fitting that I bought this particular fiber.  I tried test-plying it with some green mystery yarn/thread I got at the local knit group:



I also made a face.

Stuff I've been knitting:

I finished a quick little knit that I've been getting a lot of use from.  It's the Felicity hat, knit up in Peace Fleece.  I'm quite happy with it, and it's been very effective at keeping my head warm and my hair notably flat.


During our recent cold spell, I began dreaming of Malabrigo and bulky yarns.  I'm nearly finished the forest canopy shawl done in a bulky green and gold yarn.  It's a little funky, but it's intended for warmth around the house, not high fashion.


Just tonight I finally got the motivation to redo the bindoff on the armholes for a vest I finished a good year ago.  It's so nice to work with Malabrigo again, even if it did felt a little under the arms.  I was happy to find that I only had to rip out the bindoff.  The neck, however, I will redo.  The incentive has been a desire to use the leftover yarn...once the neck is done, I can use the remainder with a clear conscience.  Whoo hoo!


Are you tired of seeing green yet?  I don't think I am.  I also have started my second Herbivore shawl--this time in a gorgeous army-like green colorway, by Araucania yarns.  It will be a nice alternative to my bright greens.  I'm loving it.  I'm mostly knitting it as another, warmer option for shawls.  I vote that shawls are the new neck scarf.  Or old.

I'll finish up with some nature shots.  Nobody'd believe it, but South Jersey has a lot of pretty areas.



1 comment:

  1. Oh man, you've been busy! To sum it all up, everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete