Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rhinebeck part the third

Here it is.  On October 17th, I woke up early in the home of a kind host in Albany, and bundled up to hit Rhinebeck!  Anticipating nasty weather, I was armed with warm layers and plastic bags stashed away to wear in the case of falling wetness.  I shouldn't have worried...I still don't understand the comments I've heard about the nasty weather at Rhinebeck.  I can't speak for Sunday, but I thought the weather on Saturday was just perfect for the event.



Sure the sky went grey as the day progressed, but that's no biggie for a knitter!  I was swaddled in my Daybreak shawl, made to coordinate with a cheesy hat I lined with fleece last winter.

I am grateful to have Aaron's help navigating the festival; first thing we did was to hit the building where the contest entries were being awarded ribbons.  He had entered a beautiful lace shawl designed by Mmario (whom we met soon thereafter!!!).  It's the Queen Anne's Lace shawl worked in a lavender dk weight yarn.



While Aaron's entry didn't get an award against the ultrafine competitors, another of Mmario's designs took the blue ribbon!  It's the Spanish Armada shawl.  Needless to say, Mmario was delighted!



Here I am with three of the knitterly giants I was privileged to mingle with that fine day.  I'm actually standing next to Mmario himself!





Hot pie for breakfast...the way I always said it should be.  This chicken pot pie, I'm proud to say, was obtained with no line at all.  Shortly after this picture was taken, the line to buy pot pie trailed off into the distance for the rest of the day.  Heheh, suckas!



I saw way too much yarn.  This black/grey combo is what I was looking for for mom's sweater...but all I found was sock weight...it seems that all the worsted yarn was in bright colors.  Oh, but there were beautiful colors.  Thankfully, I had a mission to get beige for dad and black for mom.

Thankfully, I couldn't pass up a blue/green wool/silk yarn early in the day.  It was my sole consolation on the ride home...everything else was either spinning fiber or "strictly business."



And yes, I knit this shawl up by the time I got home, such was my excitement.  Granted, it was a long journey home, and I had the rest of the weekend to work on it.


Later on I blocked it...I actually liked it better pre-blocking, but it's still very nice to wear despite it's limpness.



It's the Clothilde, and I'm bound to give this shawl another go.



I just need to avoid silk, I think.

There's more to come, but you and I need a break!

1 comment:

  1. Avoid silk? Why would you ever do such a thing?

    ReplyDelete