Sunday, March 28, 2010

...And nothin to show fer it

Wow.  I'm not even looking to see how long it's been.  A lot's happened lately...namely, I got a car!

While that is great news, it also means I'm spending my time driving when I could be knitting on a bus or shut in at home, again knitting.  Ha.

So I haven't made a lot of progress on the knitting, you could say.  Let's tally up what I've got:
I'm started on Clue #2 of the Evenstar shawl (whereas most people are at clue #4).

I also took a side track and cast on for another LOTR project by Susan Pandorf...the Legolas shawl.  While I started with a lovely green, it was not the right one, so I am repurposing the yarn intended for another herbivore shawl...it's a nice, swampy olive colorway.

During the sweep of warm weather last week, I felt inspired to knit a cotton-based hat...so of course I ended up with blue and green...again!  It's another botanic hat by Stephen West.

It looks a wee bit small, but seems to look okay when I put it on my head.  I'm banking on cotton living up to its reputation of growing a bit with wear.  

Hopefully it turns out better than this Daybreak Shawl, which I finally frogged:

The needles are free!  You can read more of the saga of the naughty Noro stripes, which have been punished by removal to the separate, smallest ball below.
I am contemplating retrying this shawl, but using a different contrast yarn.  Whadda ya think?


I will also not knit it in Continental style.  Not this one, anyways.

I've come across some lovely yarns lately, one of which is a beautiful handdyed colorway by Myra of Woolbearers.  It's delicious, and I'm having a fit trying to figure out best how to use it.  A Milkweed Shawl?  A necktie?  Socks?

I just got a hold of Cookie A.'s book, Sock Innovation, and I gotta say, I must pick this book up every night and dream about knitting her patterns up.  She does wonderful things with textures.  If you want to know what I'm talking about, check out the recent video episode of her on Fiber Beat podcast.  Wowsers!  

I'm working towards giving a solo harp/voice recital in a few weeks (yikes!!) so my knitting may be curtailed even more.  I got to play at an art gallery today, and had a nice time.  Even cooler, all of the art incorporated fiber!

Some of my knitting has been a bit more complicated than the usual movie knitting, so I have finally been able to start listening to the Harry Potter books read by Jim Dale.  Fantastic reading!  While I went to the back of the Juvenile section at the library to pick up the audiobook and actually hard copy of the book, I stopped to play with an old favorite toy, although I never actually owned one, especially this large:

Ah.  The simplest things keep me enthralled for way too long.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, look at you sporting that nice vest! I love the collar! Nice car, too. And I loved those toys when I was a kid! and I think that yarn would be best as socks. And I'm sorry to hear about your Daybreak. And your botanic hat looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the car, it's sure to make your life easier. I vote for the shawl but you'll probably get more use out of the socks. Either way, the yarn is delicious! BTW, how do you carry a harp around? Big case and wheels? Does it fit in the car, looks like a wagon! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still play with the busy beads at my kids' doctor's office when we are there. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete