Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lace, Love.



I like to watch Project Runway, and while I'm in no way a fashion guru, as my wardrobe would quickly reveal, I'd say this is the closest I've gotten in my lace knitting to sportswear (looks, not function).

It's a rather heavy worsted weight yarn--Lamb's Pride Worsted, to be exact. I've been itching for some time to knit this color up into lace.  (It's very greeeen.)  Well, as I neared the border, I realized I probably wouldn't have enough yardage to finish, so I striped it with a couple other bits of yarn I have. The result? I'm completely delighted. I think for such a heavy yarn, it really benefits from a bold finish to make it pop.

It's kinda big.  Almost 62" across the wingspan.
Oh, and speaking of itch, I think the mohair in the yarn is a wee bit itchy, but I think I can get used to it. Heck, people used to wear much worse stuff back in the day. I'm really surprised at how nicely the Lambs Pride blocked out. I only knit this on size 8 needles; I would have expected to use larger. But it blocked out fine. I love lace blocking. Love it. And this one was one of the easiest projects for blocking, due to the points on two sides and eyelets on the straight edge. I just stuck my blocking wires through the eyelets and through the tips of the points, and voila! Lace!



I'm also including a few pics of hats I've made for Kyle's Operation Gratitude Handmade drive. It's not too late to jump on the wagon, you knitters out there!

1 comment:

  1. I love the way that this turned out. I love Brown Sheep Company's yarns. The additional colors add a bit of flair that seem to make the whole piece feel so very alive. Off to stalk Ravelry to find this one and add it to my queue!

    ReplyDelete