Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy 2011!

Best wishes for your the New Year!


I'm taking some time to reflect on the past year's highlights, as well as sum up the thoughts buzzing around in my head as I look forward.  Sometimes I get so caught up in the moment as I knit that I don't look further down the road.  This can be a nice thing, but it's not a way to live.  I guess that's why I enjoy this blog; you readers give me an excuse to pause and think a bit.  If I had people to cook for, I might actually cook real food, as well.

A segue cop-out alternative: Rather than drag you through all my thoughts, here's a quick "hello" and an update.

Hello!


Once I finished my sister's slippers, I spent the last week in a bit of a knitting slump; I found myself procrastinating on swatching for Mom's sweater vest and a friend's scarf.  I think I am dragging my feet about knitting with such 'refined' yarns as the ones I chose for these projects.  Maybe it's the fact that I am more concerned than usual that the finished products come out looking refined and somewhat dressy.  Usually I'm sloppier than that (or nicely put, 'rustic').  I once noted that a way to challenge myself would be to knit something like Debbie Bliss yarns or patterns.  It's just not my comfort zone.  (I'm keeping a ball of Marr Haven on hand for swatching and furtive petting.)  So I'm inadvertently starting the year with one of those self-challenges we like so much.

A few more words about the scarf: I've been bouncing between three ideas, knitting/swatching/poring over the internet and patterns.  The three ideas are Henry, a honeycomb cabled scarf (similar to the Green Honey Man-Scarf), and the longer Matthew Shepard seaman's scarf.  Each of these has its own challenges or quirks, but I think I've narrowed it down to a honeycomb scarf.  That's with having knit two repeats of the Matthew lace pattern.


My hesitation about the honeycomb scarf is that it is thicker than I would like the scarf to be, and I will probably need to purchase more yarn.   But the Matthew scarf  calls for a lot of attention, and I'm not sure it will be quite as appreciated as an aran scarf (the recipient loves anything Irish).  Enh, stick around to find out the final decision!

Here's to a thoughtful and good year with moving forward and scaling new heights--however silly those heights may seem!

3 comments:

  1. But I'd love to hear your thoughts! That's why I read your blog. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Yarndude's vote!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I third that vote !

    The Matthew scarf is looking lovely, good luck with your choices, however I do like what I see so far :)

    BTW.. that quaint white house, snowman and all that snow.. gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete