Sunday, February 13, 2011

And something to show for it

After a longish hiatus from spinning, I decided to try spinning my own yarn for one of the patterns just released in Stephen West's new book.  I figured that its simple use of a little over 100 yards of yarn in stockinette stitch would lend itself well to handspun yarns.  Here's my version.


I used a 50/50 silk/merino blend dyed by Beata over at Hedgehog Fibres.  Coincidentally, I first encountered (and subsequently fell for) her work through Stephen's projects.  I don't presume to be a good spinner, so I'm glad to have a nice fiber that kinda makes up for it.   

SSPX3886

For the grey, I used Jamieson & Smith Shetland Aran, having been itching to use it since I encountered it.  That's about the only itching involved, for while it seems almost rough compared to the silk/wool, it's actually really soft.  However, it seems like it could felt easily, so I opted not to use it for the i-cord drawstring.  Instead, I experimented with chain-plying a thicker-spun single.  

SSPX3882

Oh.  And for those who care, happy Valentine's Day.  For those who just want chocolate, eat your heart out.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cool thingamabob! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comment needed you know what I think ;D

    I got chocolate, so yeah doing a lot of eating right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous handspun my friend! I think it works perfectly.

    I also think i'm going to need to move some of Stephens patterns way up on my project list. I need some more good, stylish winter gear.

    Sure, this winter is almost over but...there will be more.

    ReplyDelete