Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May Ketch-up

I'm a naughty blogger.  There, I've said it.  Moving on.

And, oh, is there so much to share!

Mom's sweater, complete.

Ma's Vest

Ma's Vest

She likes it, I'm happy with the final result, and I'm grateful to all the help I got along the way.  People have paid some very nice compliments along the way by telling me I have a wonderful color sense or am a brilliant knitter, and I would be remiss if I did not pass on the praise where it is due.  While some people prefer to knit in isolation, I tend to enjoy making my knitting a collaboration.  As a result, the final product is usually the fruit of many people's opinions in color, design, and any other decisions that have to be made.  True, I usually execute the final product, but I do not knit in a vacuum.  I even take polls on which yarn to pick when I'm with the elderly ladies.  So I thank you all--and that's you, too, kind blog readers.  I love the friendly and helpful emails and comments you send, and I appreciate the feedback.

So, mom's sweater behind me, I sallied forth to Maryland for the Sheep and Wool Festival.  From the time I began my rampage at about 10:30 in the morning to the time when I had run out of funds around midafternoon, I spent my time in a fog.  I remember little of it, and I have little photographic proof.  I really expected to be more sociable than I was; instead, I found myself overwhelmed by colors.

SSPX4531

Early on, I almost literally stumbled upon the Sanguine Gryphon booth, and plunged myself into its claustrophobic space.  After standing in the same place for a while because I had nowhere to move, I maneuvered my way to a skein of yarn and found my way back out to the checkout line, which followed a labyrinthine path reminiscent of the beautiful socks on display there.  Maybe my mind was numbed by the wait (it really was a bonding experience with other knitters); I found myself mesmerized not only by the gorgeous samples on the wall, but also by the lovely skeins in the hands of the redheads in the line.  Even more, though, I was mesmerized by the people working the booth, dressed in period kilts and dresses.  Sigh.  Do you feel overwhelmed yet?  I did.  I managed to snag extra yarn as I got closer to the register, check out, and find my way to the light of day.

The day could have been very stressing just in its sheer sensory overload, had I not had some knitting to help me when I became most agitated.  I had a couple other things to distract me as well and reconnect me with the world: I gave strangers treats I had baked the night before, and Igor enjoyed the attention he was receiving.

@ Maryland Sheep and Wool

I also enjoyed seeing some of the work of the artisans around the grounds, especially that of Susan Levi-Goerlich.  Check out her blog; she also has a website that shows just a sampling of her pieces.  I found her 'paintings' to be well worth stopping to enjoy, and her booth was a welcome break from the pace I kept through the morning.  Even if I could have snapped photos of my favorites, it would not have done justice to the depth created by the media she used.

I also managed to snap some photos of the entries to the handiwork and fiber art display; here are a few favorites of mine.  I tried to capture some of the details that made them so interesting.

SSPX4580

SSPX4581

SSPX4593

SSPX4594

SSPX4541

SSPX4546

Igor topped off his special day with a trip to the very place his green yarn was obtained last year.

SSPX4626

He's happy to be home, as am I.

Besides my other two socks, I'm working my way down the foot of the mate to this handsome sock:

photo

SSPX4493

I'm knitting these Newland socks up in Socks That Rock Mediumweight.  The colorway is Mossley Manly, and I just received the same colorway in yarn for one of my sweater vests (because I love it!).  More to come on that later.

I have to get myself ready for my next big adventure in a mere week-- the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat!  Woot!  This will be my first knitting retreat, and I'm excited to find out what it's like to be with the guys and yarn and not much else.  Meanwhile, I've gotta figure out what projects to bring for those extensive bus rides...

5 comments:

  1. Wait, Will, is that *you* in that picture? You look so incredibly handsome! Also, what are the dates for the Men's Knitting Retreat? You may be thwarting my plans...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved this post so much fun !! ...and as requested I got some pics to drool over from the fiber fest - gosh I wish I were there. Igor looks like he had a great time too..lol

    Your mums vest looks AMAZING !!!!! you did such a wonderful job with it and the the colour changes work.

    Drooling over those socks and in my fave colour too - you pick fab sock patterns, maybe I need to look at mens socks rather than ladies as yours appeal far greater.

    Now I need pics of mens retreat- please :D ...I'm off on my own fibery weekend this weekend also ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MSW looks fantastic. Your pictures have captured the colour-overload very well -- LOL! I didn't know there was art there as well. I think I'd be totally overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Igor looks like he is having a most wonderful time, especially with the eating of all that beautiful yarn!!

    I think that I might also need to knit up some socks in that colorway. I do so love that gray/green combo...

    I hope you have an awesome time at the retreat!!! I have never been but would love to go sometime as well. Perhaps I can save up for a trip to the retreat next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's best that i didn't got; i probably would have suffered a color induced breakdown.
    i definitely would have needed a nap.
    that yarn art is amazing!
    icould really fathom it when it was being explained, but as "they" say, "a picture is worth a thousand (yarns)".

    ReplyDelete