Sunday, May 29, 2011

MSKR Trip part 1 - The Journey Up

Last weekend I was away in the far reaches of New York state, knitting happily with my shoes off.  But I have yet to tell you about it.  The idea of condensing such a lot of feelings and thoughts into a blog post is overwhelming, not to mention time consuming.  So I'll try to do a bit at a time; hopefully that will make it manageable.

SSPX4719
It all starts here

My journey up to the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat was kinda fun; I took four buses each way, and while no bad accidents occured, we did get into a small accident (I believe it was not our driver's fault) just as we entered Manhattan.  The result was that we ended up walking the few remaining blocks to Penn Station, rather than wait for police to come to the scene.  It turned out that I needn't have hurried; my connecting bus trip was over an hour late.  I was very happy to be a knitter.

Who cares if the bus is an hour late in NYC?  I have knitting!
Waiting in the bus queue in NYC

The trip from NYC to Albany was well worth the wait.  Not many people rode that particular trip, so I ended up picking a set of four seats arranged around a desk, all to myself.  With the free wi-fi on the bus, I was able to get some mad work done in preparing for my class.  And all that for one dollar!  Woot!

My pre-class workstation...Perfect  timing!
Welcome to my "Office"

The shawl I'm working on is Stephen West's Transatlantic; I thought it only fair to cast on while I traveled, and use it as a traveling project.  Even the yarn choices ended up having significance, as one of them comes from Trumpet Hill yarns and the other comes from Hedgehog Fibres in Ireland (and I only know about her work because of Stephen West).  I'll have to show how it turns out soon.

Suffice it to say that I arrived in good form in Albany, where I was greeted by dear faces and whisked off to Trumpet Hill Fine Yarns and Accents, where I'd be teaching that night's workshop.  But that's another story...

5 comments:

  1. I am SO going to look forward to this excursion of yours :D

    Nothing like a bit of drama in a getaway and I've noticed that your buses have the same fabric as we do...hahah

    Your Trans looks lovely - great choice and a nice contrast of colours. I can see you've set yourself up real good on that bus.. way to go ! ;D my kind of travel spread out, shoes off and feet up !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, tease us with your adventure! I'd like to hear about your class too as well as the retreat.

    Love your new Transatlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh public transportation, why don't you ever work efficiently?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to hear about your trip to Albany to teach a class and the MSKR! Your Transatlantic knitting project looks good too.

    There are definitely moments I really appreciate being a knitter. Recently, I was able to teach my niece how to knit while attending my other niece's graduation ceremony (1000+ graduates). Time flew by and my niece would like to practice more knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the transportation woes! I'm glad that it all turned out well in the end, though.

    Congrats on the teaching gig. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the retreat!!

    ReplyDelete