Thursday, September 1, 2011

Shoot! I did it again! - The Mystery Shawl

Presenting the Westknits mystery shawl knitalong, "Earth and Sky"

Shawl Fence 8

For the uninitiated, a mystery knitalong involves a series of "clues" in which progressive sections of the pattern are sent out, so that everyone participating is working on the same bit at the same time.  It's kinda fun to speculate what the next bit of the pattern will be. 

SSPX5185
Clue 1 'nugget' completed

Shawl Crumpled 7

I learned something while knitting this shawl; besides being a very intriguing architect, Frank Lloyd Wright designed stained glass.  (I've been to see Fallingwater, and highly recommend it to anyone passing through the Pittsburgh region.)  By a stroke of luck, I picked colors that, by an esteemed observer's opinion, were colors that fit well with the FLW story.

Shawl Fence 12


Shawl Curled 1


Shawl Fence 10

Do you know how I feel about grey? It is my new best friend in yarn form.  A former art student confirmed my theory when he said that grey has the magical property of showing off colors to their best advantage.  My big wish is that yarn shops would stock more beautiful greys, so that I can expand the potential of the beautiful single skeins in my yarn stash.

I've also started collecting grey shirts - quite a change for me, but I'm loving it.

Shawl Fence 1

Shawl Fence 6

I can't not tell you the gorgeous yarns in this shawl.  Here they are:
Fiber Optic Yarns Foot Notes in "Straight No Chaser"
Hedgehog Fibres Sock Yarn in "Rusty Nail"
Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in "Tern"

They're all very lovely yarns, but the Hedgehog Fibres Sock made this shawl an extra delight to knit.  Once again, I'm smitten.

Shawl Wall 1

Can you tell I really like photographing this shawl?

~ ~ ~

P.S. Before his disappearance, the fish did buy the yarn.



5 comments:

  1. What a hottie! I love that shawl. I don't even wear them, but I want to make one RIGHT. NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours you chose -- it's a beautiful shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, this shawl pattern is not for me ...but, with that said...yours is amazing!!! I love the colors together, and you're a great model for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love your version, the colours are amazing - enough to say that if I lived nearby I would steal it from you (or wrestle it ;). Grey tees - love grey ! goes with everything.

    So glad the fish scored and well too - great colour !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I just looked at your Westknits KAL. I love the colors and must make one for myself now! Yours is excellent.

    ReplyDelete