Friday, November 18, 2011

Popping in for an update

I'm currently working on number five of five Christmas stockings; I expect to finish before December even hits!  Bam!  For once, I'm on point for my holiday knitting.  (Oh, and three presents are DONE!)  The stockings are not secrets, so I can share them with you, so stay tuned.

For now, though, enjoy a few more pictures from the trip to New York (Rhinebeck and beyond).

Back when people were making New Years resolutions, I mentioned that I'd like to finish at least one book this year.  I've done that a few times over so far, and I tip my hat to my friendly e-reader.  One of the books was Steve Kluger's Almost Like Being In Love, which takes place up at Loughberry Lake in Saratoga Springs.  The boyfriend and I paid a little visit to the spot.

DSC09474


Loughberry lake


Downtown, we were delighted to see that stores such as the Gap had realized the fashionability of yarn in its raw form, as well as knitted up.
cabled sweater skein


Cable sweater

Yarn was draped across windows and over mannequins, and closeup photos of knit cables were on prominent display in shop windows.

But there were other lovely sights in town besides yarn.
Ivy red and green


While strolling, we had an encounter with the wildlife and barely escaped with our lives.
Saratoga wildlife


The leisurely drive back took us through Rhinebeck once again, and just below that we found the Vanderbilt mansion overlooking the Hudson River.
DSC09739


Our goal was to reach the Culinary Institute of America before the Apple Pie Bakery Cafe closed.  We made it with about twenty minutes to spare, although the apple pie was all gone.  *Sad face*  I did end up with a great big sandwich cookie thing that featured a spiced vanilla cream cheese filling and butternut squash butter, and maple somewhere in the mix.  The cookie had a bit of a carrot cake thing going on, but they really had me at "maple."

DSC09776


DSC09779


Do you remember me working on the Evenstar Shawl last year?  I'm still where I was last year, but I did spy a couple completed specimens at the festival.  Here's one to help you (and me) feel better that I don't have knitting photos for you.

Evenstar Shawl

1 comment:

  1. That cookies looks really good, except the raisins (if that is what they are). I kind of despise raisins in baked goods...

    ReplyDelete