Thursday, January 26, 2012

And the winner is...

The results are in, and we have a winner!

Yarndude gave the closest answer by selecting numbers 5 and 6; the actual stripes I added in are numbers 3 and 4.  I'm fiendishly delighted that nobody could tell where my grafting was; after all, I fussed over it a good while to get it right!

ribbing

When I knit the vest, I bought two skeins of BrooklynTweed LOFT in the colorway "Plume," but I only used one.  Yarndude just won the other skein! Congratulations!

Plume 3

Plume 1

Here's a hearty "thank you" to everyone for participating and sharing the love!  And again, a special "thank you" to Aaron, whose generosity and skill with a spinning wheel made this vest worth every bit of extra effort.

Here's a bit of other news that I'm delighted to share. About the time in my life when knitting began taking on a life of its own, I discovered that yarn shops exist.  Before that point, I only had craft department stores, and they just aren't the same thing.  I feel strongly about the need for Local Yarn Shops, and I make a point to visit as many as I can and support their business. In a world where retail so often leaves me with an empty feeling of being used and treated like a number, I love that I can take my business to yarn shops. Each one has its own unique flavor that reflects the owner, and I love when I find a yarn shop that I can really relate to.

The first yarn shop I ever found was Loop, and it immediately claimed a special place in my heart. It has a wonderfully clean and cozy feeling about it, and each line of yarn is laid out in rainbow order so that the yarn really shines in the well-designed lighting.  In fact, after seeing skeins hanging from the walls, I adopted the idea in my own room so that I could enjoy my favorite purchases even before I knit them. In all my travels to various and wonderful yarn stores, stopping by Loop was a bit like stopping home. Working at Loop has always been a fantasy of mine, but recently that dream became a reality. The staff there are some of the best and have long felt like friends.  I feel pretty lucky to be counted among their ranks. So stop by on a Saturday and say hello!  And if you buy Loft, I'll be more than happy to wind it for you, heh heh!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to both yourself and Loop! A wonderful feeling to work somewhere you really "belong", and they are very lucky to have you with them :-)

    Congratulations also to Yarndude!! I enjoy reading the thoughtful comments he leaves for you as much as your blog itself. The Shelter Yarn couldn't go to a nicer guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, I won! You must be insane to be considering parting with a skein of BT yarn, though. I worry for you. We'll talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Congrats on getting the job!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo, working at Loop! They're lucky to have you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo, working at Loop! They're lucky to have you ! :-)

    ReplyDelete