Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A quickie: New Years lovin'

Happy New Year!  I had an amazing weekend with lots to think about and great company. I'm so glad to be with a person who feels as happy as I to park early for the fireworks, find a coffee shop, and knit while we wait.  Here's a shapshot I took while waiting for some action at the Mummer's parade:
Stripes

I actually have about a foot knit on the sweater vest, because I am eager to finish it and wear it.  I decided that sweater vests are great because they only require a moderate commitment in time and money, and you can wear them in a variety of settings.  So I hope to knit a few of the buggers this year.

As if I didn't have enough projects on the needles yet, I cast on tonight for a Windschief neck warmer.  After a recent and very windy day in the city, I decided I needed to make at least two of these, since they pack small and they are impossible to blow off, even with the strongest gust of wind.  Of course, I needed to use soft yarn... I went stash diving and pulled out some old-school Malabrigo for the job.  Now all I can say is that it has been too long since I've knit with such buttery-soft goodness.  I know it won't be the sturdiest thing in the world, but I don't really care.  I might even encourage a bit of felting to toughen things up.  It's a bit of a pity that some of the newer and sturdier yarns have eclipsed the reign of Malabrigo.  I'm just sayin'.

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving your vest. What yarn are you using? I have a windschief that I made with malabrigo and it's quite wonderful. I never wear it, though. That seems to be the way I am with most things I knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That purple yarn sure is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to be way so pretty. The colours are great.
    Ron in Mexico

    ReplyDelete