Sunday, January 8, 2012

Steek!

Prepare yourself for a very poorly written stream of thought.

I may be dating myself, but I grew up with wonderful life role models on television.  It was the heyday of Sesame Street, Mister Rogers, Care Bears, and the bizarrely amusing PeeWee Herman. Besides sharing a certain talent for musical expression through bodily movements with the scandalous Playhouse hero, I feel an affinity to Mr. Herman's practice of selecting a Word Of The Day.  Today's word of the day is "insipid." And that's simply because I can.  So wish me luck.

And now for the fiber-related side of this post.

When the gift-giving season was safely past, I took the opportunity to obtain a book that had been on my list.  This way, no one would feel badly for not getting it for me, right?
starmore fair isle

While I was there, I also took the opportunity to purchase a used copy of a book containing the pattern for a pair of excellent gloves I received as a birthday gift from a very generous friend.
Vogue cover

Since the weather has made gloves a welcome accessory, I have fast decided that I need to start knitting these as well. I love my pair, and it would be great to share the love. I like Aaron's decision to switch the direction of one of the cables.
gloves
I brought the book and gloves in to the nursing home, and the reaction among the ladies was very enjoyable.  They seemed to come alive as they talked about the knitting they've done in the past, and everyone loved the gloves almost as much as I do.

In other news, progress on the Spectra is slow but fun enough.  Here we see another color beginning to show.
spectra


It's only slow because I've been obsessed with my vest. Here's a photo chronicle of my first steek ever! For a knitter, this is anything but insipid.  (AAAAAH!)
deformed body
Knitting in the round instead of working v-neck pieces back-and-forth was so delightfully easy.

neck steek
Here's the neck steek stitches set aside like lambs for the slaughter.

crocheting


mistake!
Mistake!  Ack!

crocheting back 2
Fixed, and on the rebound...

ready closeup
All lined up and ready to go.

STEEK!
STEEK!

super closeup
For the uninitiated, steeking involves snipping the ladders of a single column of stitches. I used the crocheted method to anchor either side so the stitches do not unravel. 

steek finished
Post-surgery, the neck hole opens up like a treasure chest.

steek folded under
The steeky edges happily fold under the work, giving a foretaste of what the v-neck will look like. Woot!  So exciting!

A note: Aaron corrected me about the purple yarn... he said he used more of a worsted technique when spinning the yarn, but since it was spun from a batt, it could be seen as sort-of woolen. Open mouth, insert foot.

5 comments:

  1. ou make it look so easy and the method all makes sense, but I'm still terrified of steeks! You are a brave soul!

    Oh, and the vest looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe I cast on another pair of those gloves tonight? I've made so many I barely need to refer to the pattern. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly, you describe exactly how I feel when I do a steek. It is exciting and with a few snips the whole sweater takes shape. Yours has folded over so nicely. Are you going to add a border? And you inspire me to cast on for a pair of gloves (in Shetland wool from Scotland) for my return to Canada in March.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only just found out about this technique, and I'm amazed and excited all at the same time about it. Could you do an in depth posting about how to do the crochet either side of the bar? that would be so he,Paul as nothing I have found shows how this is done. I love your blog. Thanks again
    Ted

    ReplyDelete