Friday, June 1, 2012

Spring Progress Report

You may notice from the sidebar that I have a lot of works in progress going on right now. Remember how I have been saying I'm "working on things," even though I haven't shown much for it? Here's a progress report:

Grannies blanket: I currently have all the squares done, and they're waiting to be joined into a little lapghan.
Grannies' grannies

Armoirmeurs prototype: I'm working my way down the second arm, and am feeling good about it.  Once I can finish getting it on paper, I'll be looking for a couple test knitters to try out the pattern. 

Armoirmeurs

Kiddie Socks: I was gonna make little kiddie-sized versions of my sister's sandal socks, but took too long to finish. Now I am dropping the "sandal" part during the summer and just making normal toes for this particular pair.  In lieu of a picture of these, how about a pic of my sister's sandal socks, photographed Christmas morning? (They had been finished an hour or two earlier.)



Meadow Socks: First done, second cast on. The blue-green yarn is a Blue Faced Leicester wool yarn dyed by Fyberspates. I grabbed it on a visit to Carol's shop down in Bridgeton, NJ; I first met Carol on a bus trip to Maryland Sheep and Wool a year or two back. For an area that's not exactly thriving with great yarn, I was delighted to find some little gems in her shop. I felt that the yarn called for size US 0 needles, and it's gonna be one great-wearing sock, although I can't exactly say I love knitting at that gauge.
Sock 1

198 Yards of Heaven and Dover Castle shawls: still plugging away now and then. Lace doesn't lend itself to reading at the same time, and the pace life has been, I've taken a lot of solace in easy knitting.
2 shawls in progress

More Fish Hats: Here's a baby version using orange Koigu and green Zarina Baby Print, with tweaked numbers.  I'm so excited for it.  It's gonna be craaazy!
Baby fish

Milkweed Shawl: I'm using the same yarn that comprises the toe of the Meadow Socks. Not the cushiest stuff out there, but I like the color.

Shur'tugal Socks: You can't see it in the picture, but I've since turned the heel.  Really an interesting knit with nicely planned details when I need a project with a little extra kick.  

PGR Socks: I couldn't wait for all the other socks to be finished to try a a different construction as presented by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts in her book, Simple Socks Plain & Fancy. The thing that strikes me about her approach is that she appeals to sock construction through history and various cultures, as well as modern techniques utilized in the socks purchased at your local department store. It makes for an interesting read, and it's available in the Kindle store.

Whew! Well, there you have it: most of my active works in progress. I've missed being able to finish a project and hold a fun photo shoot, but this helped scratch the itch.

What are you currently working on?  How many projects do you find yourself juggling at a time? 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Love those grannies! And I really love the meadow socks. Can't wait to see the baby fish hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! That's a lot of projects. I just finished a shawl and looked at my bin of UFOs and decided to start something new instead of working on any number of things that are very close to the finish line. I figured, "What the heck? It's not like any of this wool stuff need to be finished anytime soon anyway..." Right? Right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I though I had a LOT going on! haha, only two shawls, a lopapeysa and a (long-term) blanket!
    How do you manage to do all this!?

    And socks! I wish I liked to knit socks!

    Great work!

    (The Armoirmeurs prototype looks very interesting!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors of the fish hat.

    I'm currently working on a Percy Shawl http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/percy-shawl Only I added a couple of extra repeats on the first chart and I'm on my third repeat of the second chart and I'm sick of it. So, I'm on my third Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief.

    There are some other UFOs but they are hibernating, so I don't count them as being worked on.

    ReplyDelete