Thursday, September 20, 2012

Zig Zags and book reviews, more or less.

Hello!

The House Color Sweater is progressing ever so slowly down the back, as it's straight stockinette right now, and the cotton content begs for breaks to be taken.  I could take a picture, but it would look like a cropped cardigan reminiscent of the Eighties. Instead, I offer you a photo taken a while back, once I had finished the front short rows on the shoulders.
sweater shoulder
Once the current ball of yarn runs out, I think I'll start working on one of the sleeves for a change of pace.

An upside of boring knitting is that I've been able to resume a bit of reading. I'm rather enjoying Vincent Bzdek's The Kennedy Legacy: Jack, Bobby, and Ted and a Family Dream Fulfilled. I confess that my knowledge of American history is pitiful; I didn't even know that Bobby existed until about five years ago. This book is proving to be fascinating, especially as it is juxtaposed with current events both locally and abroad. I only wish I had not been so afraid of history and politics  when I was, er, younger; if a majority of our nation's youth know as little as I do about our history, it is no wonder that we should be in the sad state we face today.

I also recently took the time to write a review for -- believe it or not -- a poetry anthology! I'm really enjoying the chance to dip into a few good poems with the folks at the nursing home whenever I get the chance (apart from my typical diet of Shel Silverstein, of course). If you're interested in sampling some good poems, I encourage you to check it out.

I'm gearing up to teach a class at Wooly Monmouth inspired by the Zig Zag blanket/wrap thing, which is coming along swimmingly (when I'm not distracted by everything else).
zigzag 1

zigzag 7
I think my favorite colorway in the wrap is the bright oranges and greens in the Black Bunny Fibers yarn above.
I'm looking forward to being back in Red Bank in just a few short weeks.  If you're in the area, think about joining us for a fun afternoon filled with Zigs and Zags!

Oh, and speaking of "in the area," I'm so excited to go to Rhinebeck, even if I am without much funding. I am thinking of conducting a photo scavenger hunt. Do you have any creative suggestions?  I'll see what I can do to accomodate you.  I know that one of the things I intend to get is the maple cotton candy, so you can expect a picture of that. 

I leave you with a video, featuring none other than the ever-charming (and hilarious) Stephen.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'll be at Rhinebeck, too! Glad there will be people I know there since Bob wants to "dump" me and go play golf. I'll also be there more of the experience than the shopping, since my pockets are somewhat empty, too.

    ReplyDelete