As I sit down, attempting to figure out where to begin, I realize that in my haste to finish the sweater, I neglected to take notes of what I had done. One thing I did right was to take pictures along the way. The nice thing about ribbing is that it is easy to calculate stitch counts from a photograph. And the nice thing about photographs is that even after I've ripped out, I can go back and analyze what went wrong and make a better guess at what to do next.
How about a bit of the Red Sweater Chronicles?
Exhibit A: The Red Sweater in its workshop, before the button band.
Exhibit B: Friday night before Rhinebeck, the button band in progress.
Exhibit C: The ride down to Rhinebeck Saturday morning. Look at all that ribbing at the back of the collar!
Exhibit D: Ribbing band completed in the wee hours of the night on Saturday. Note the taut edge,an indicator that not enough stitches have been picked up.
Exhibit E: Full view in the light of day. Notice the bottom of the button band; when I removed my hand, the sweater bottom would tend to ride up.
Exhibit F: The back side. Note how the ribbing has affected the shape and fit of the sweater, as well as the funky bit at the top of the back.
As I go to publish this post, I have the sweater sitting on my lap. Wish me luck as I attempt to amend these shortcomings, and stay tuned for the results!