Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lace blankets, wraps, and Norwegian experimittens

Winter weather has settled in a bit more here in eastern Pennsylvania, and I'm loving it. Knitting puts inclement weather into a very different perspective.

I've been working up warm woolies of all sorts during an extended weekend with knitter friends. 
My Leaves Of Grass blanket is coming along... I actually made my way into Chart C!

2013-01-22 10.06.52


I'm also nearly finished the Hypotenuse wrap. I intentionally left LOG behind so I could bang this one out. After a while, I just wanted to be done. If being chilly had not been rushing me to finish, I think it would be a wonderful long-term project; it is easy to pick up and put down, and while there are a ton of rows, one row is not really so bad. I am still tempted to try this pattern again.

2013-01-22 10.00.27

I brought Igor along as the project bag, and found him to be a delightful companion during the trip.

Here is the project that prevented my actual completion of Hypotenuse:

Experimitten

I had purchased one ball of each of these colors with the intention of sampling them together, perhaps for a stranded sweater design. I figured I could use a bit of knitting circle mojo and extended time to bring it about, and my plan worked!

Experimitten

I settled on the Norwegian Selbu Mittens pattern by Henriette Hope. It's very basic, leaving some details to the knitter's imagination, particularly in the area of increases and decreases. That's fine; I don't like to have too much detail to follow anyway! I modified them to make a convertible mitt, and I'm pretty pleased overall.

Experimitten

I love this yarn! It's Peer Gynt by Sandnes Garn in Norway, and it has a deliciously 'toothy' texture that becomes evident whenever I weave in the ends. Because of this quality, I felt comfortable being a little less obsessive during the ritual weaving in of so many loose ends. Now I just need a sweater's worth of this stuff...

This mitten took shape over about two days, but I'm not done yet; the second mitten has yet to be cast on, and I am thinking of working a different method this time around. My method of picking up the stitches left something to be desired. It worked, but it was finicky and left more crease than I would like. I'm eager to try the method used in Kathy Cochran's Glittens pattern. Stay tuned to see how that turns out!



3 comments:

  1. First of all, I know what you mean about the weather. Here at the other end of PA, the wind chill is bring us to 20 below later. Yikes.

    Second, I love the mitt! It makes me want to eat sandwiches outside in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the mitten yarn looks yummy!!! and you're cruising on leaves, especially since you're hindered with doctoring duties :)

    and the barfing fish...that's some gorgeous barf!
    nice, will!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the projects! The mitten is smashing!

    ReplyDelete