Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Picking up where I left off

A friend recently offered me a bit of input regarding picking up stitches on my red sweater.  Don't you know - the Rhinebeck sweater? The sweater that I haven't touched since ripping out the mile of ribbing I knit while rushing to complete it to wear along with forty other knits during the span of two days?

As I sit down, attempting to figure out where to begin, I realize that in my haste to finish the sweater, I neglected to take notes of what I had done. One thing I did right was to take pictures along the way. The nice thing about ribbing is that it is easy to calculate stitch counts from a photograph. And the nice thing about photographs is that even after I've ripped out, I can go back and analyze what went wrong and make a better guess at what to do next.

How about a bit of the Red Sweater Chronicles?

Exhibit A: The Red Sweater in its workshop, before the button band.
yarma


Exhibit B: Friday night before Rhinebeck, the button band in progress.
Red Sweater

Exhibit C: The ride down to Rhinebeck Saturday morning. Look at all that ribbing at the back of the collar!
look at all that ribbing!

Exhibit D: Ribbing band completed in the wee hours of the night on Saturday. Note the taut edge,an indicator that not enough stitches have been picked up.
Red Sweater

Exhibit E: Full view in the light of day. Notice the bottom of the button band; when I removed my hand, the sweater bottom would tend to ride up.

Red Sweater



Exhibit F: The back side. Note how the ribbing has affected the shape and fit of the sweater, as well as the funky bit at the top of the back.
Sweater 14

As I go to publish this post, I have the sweater sitting on my lap. Wish me luck as I attempt to amend these shortcomings, and stay tuned for the results!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh.... I'm sorry and good luck! While I can commiserate knitting woes I'll leave it there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure it'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do this,Will! If anyone can, you can!

    ReplyDelete