Monday, February 11, 2013

As promised

I got buttons.

Red Sweater is done!

As soon as I put on the buttons, I proceeded to wear my new sweater around the house for much of my time at home over the next few days. It definitely fits the bill as being comfortable, and the revisions on the collar were worth the effort.

Red Sweater is done!

After work I ran out to the front porch to make use of the lingering daylight, and did the best I could with a couple of brick walls and a camera timer. And then there's the old stick-out-your-arm-as-far-as-you-can-and-click method, which kinda turned out best, I think. This sweater is a bit tricky to photograph so that it looks attractive; I've only showed you the better bits. In the search for the perfect sweater, this is only a stop along the way, and there are a number of issues with my unvention. That said, my goal was not to produce the perfect sweater for going out and showing off, but rather a great sweater for combating the chill around the house. In that regard, I am quite satisfied. Even the front being a bit short when I stand is actually an asset when I am seated--as I so often am when I knit.

Red Sweater is done!

An unofficial yarn review: 
Having spent a decent amount of time with (and in) the Spud & Chloe Sweater yarn, I am increasingly convinced that it is an excellent yarn for sweaters and blankets... especially if you prefer a bit of weight on you. It feels very nice to wear, though the cotton is a bit wearisome during long knitting sessions. Its gauge does not seem to change much (or at all?) when machine washed; from my experience the only effect the washer has on this yarn is to cause it to lose its crisp and clean look after several washings. Like anything, the gentler you treat it, the better it will wear. I've been making a couple baby sweaters in this yarn, and think it does quite nicely.

Speaking of baby sweaters... here's one I finished:

Baby Sophisticate

The only problem is that the pattern calls for worsted weight yarn (like Sweater), but the gauge is much more in the bulky range. So the sweater came out small. Meh--it was nice to make a shawl collar sweater that looks nice and didn't take for-friggin-ever.

Oh, and I also finished a pair of socks last night!


PGR Socks

Remember these? I call them my PGR socks, as in Priscilla Gibson Roberts, since it was her book that guided me on the path to knitting them. I'm adding her method to my list of "because I can" sock constructions, but I am not convinced I love it above my usual cuff-down-heel-flappy method as described in Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Knitting Rules! I have already pulled three balls of yarn from the stash for the next pair, and they are sitting next to me in monk-like contemplation. One is Hedgehog Fibres in a yarn I've been wanting to try firsthand (or firstfoot?), another is Briar Rose Fibers (in a very different kind of sock wool from the others I've used), and the third is a colorway of Madeline Tosh that has a nice cobalt blue that calls to me. Decisions, decisions! Maybe I should just slate them all for socks in the next several months...

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, now I feel bad that I told you to shorten it. (Did I tell you to do that?) Also, you make me want to knit socks. Really I've been thinking about it for a while, but my feet are so big that it takes more than one skein and I hate that, but your picture *somehow* reminded me that I could do a contrasting toe and heel and that would save yarn. I think it must have been your short row heel that reminded me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did say to shorten it, but looking at the back of the sweater you might still tell me to shorten it again. I left out the pics that show the painful slant from front to back and the ballooning of the back. Ick.

      Delete