Monday, March 18, 2013

Now I'm A Kitty Blogger

Blog? What's that?

I like to think that I'm spending less time on the computer for Lent, but it's really just my way of trying to spend more time with yarn and books and our new kitty, Jake.

Untitled

Isn't he adorable? We adopted him a few weeks ago when his owner passed away during a struggle with cancer. I've never had a pet of my own that didn't swim in a fish tank, and kinda lost interest in the idea as the years and life hardened me. I think knowing his story gave me more compassion to consider taking an animal into our home, and I do feel a bond with him. This picture shows his shy and playful side, but he is at heart a snuggle bunny.

 Jake

What I've been working on:

I finally put eyes on my latest fish hat! 

2013-03-12 08.42.07
I just adore the purple yarn spun up by my friend Aaron, and loved the opportunity to use it again.

In my knitting group this year's House Color is purple, so I plan to keep with fishy tradition by wearing this bad boy to Maryland Sheep and Wool. 

I am delighted with this year's choice of House Color, so I have decided to use it as a focus color throughout the year. It gives me good excuse to utilize a color that I adore but have difficulty implementing into my own projects. I consider it a good challenge to try to use colors in ways that stretch me, and this will help me narrow the focus to a manageable range.

I'm slowly chipping away at a purple version of Stephen West's Túngata cowl. Here's a taste of what it will look like:
Túngata color

Túngata BW
Black and White shows how the colors will read when it's all done; whew, it works!
Speaking of Maryland Sheep and Wool, here's my plan: between now and it (May 4), work up a project utilizing something from last year's purchase. The pickings are a bit slim, so it looks like my project will have to be spinning up one of my braids from Into the Whirled. I don't know that I'll knit it up by then, but we'll see how things go.

I'm really enjoying whipping up a pair of socks in a Rhinebeck yarn - Nate's Sock Yarn by Briar Rose Fibers.  (We've been seeing a lot of BRF!!) Oh, how I love the ease of the pattern, the deceptive appearance of complexity, and the spongy texture of the yarn!  Having already knit this pattern up in fingering weight, I knew that it would not fit me without some kind of modification. It turns out that bumping up the yarn and needle size does the trick perfectly.  Just look at the beauty of this sock; I can't wait to finish and show the pair modeled:

2013-03-12 08.45.16
'Sprouting' by Beata Jezek

2013-03-12 08.45.48

The colors look suspiciously similar to my last pair of socks finished. Color fixation, perhaps?

PGR Socks
'Toe to Top Socks' from Simple Socks Plain And Fancy by Priscilla Gibson Roberts;
yarn is Dizzie Lizzie's  Superwash Sock, purchased at Maryland S&W two years ago.

And to finish off, here's a taste of my sampler as it currently stands.

2013-02-19 08.30.40

One of the things I've been mulling over as I knit this sampler is the possibility of incorporating lace into a purple project, trying to create a lace kerchief that I would enjoy wearing. Again, we'll see how that turns out at a later date...

Happy knitting, and thank you for stopping by! Your comments have been wonderful, and I love knowing there are people out there enjoying the journey with me!

2 comments:

  1. What an adorable little kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics - I'm amazed with all the different stuff you crank out, and wish I could stick with the sock-weight-yarn socks as much as other folks can. It's just so much easier to get through a pair of socks with worsted weight. ;-)

    After seeing your fish hat pics (and those others have done), I'm going to have to give them a try soon for my nieces. Annnnnd maybe myself!

    ReplyDelete