Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day Handspun Maynia!

Happy May!  Happy May!

I got tired of my spindle box having Christmas-y snowmen, so I put a skein of one of my favorite colorways to work:

spindle case

The yarn is one of my little skeinlets spun up on a Trindle using the Navajo Ply On The Fly technique. The color is Deep Blue Sea dyed by Gale's Art, and it's the first colorway I spun up several years ago after learning about handspinning on my first trip to Maryland Sheep and Wool. I used glue to make the yarn a permanent fixture on the case; I love that it shows of the color gradation so beautifully!

spindle case


Just last night I plied my Maryland Sheep and Wool challenge yarn and gave it a bath. And now we have the big reveal!

2013-05-01 15.51.41

2013-05-01 15.52.03

I finished just in time to cast on for the May Day KAL with GirlsInSheepClothing. I love the tawny olive blended with the sea foam that is coming up in the first bit. The pattern is Evelyn Clark's Shetland Triangle; I've wanted to knit this one for a long time, as I have heard great things about it, and frankly, every time I saw a different version of it in real life, I loved it.

Shetland Triangle

The above photo is already outdated; I'm banging this one out at the moment. Oh, and in the background we have my Leaves of Grass, which I have not been neglecting along the way, despite channeling much of my brainpower into some other areas of knitting which I will not now relate.

2013-05-01 15.54.02

It feels pretty good to be out of chart C.

It also feels pretty good to be going to Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival this weekend! I can't believe it is almost here.  If you are going, feel free to say hello. Looks like the weather will be quite lovely this year, and the music never disappoints.  For those of you who can't make it, I promise to pet a sheep for you.  Actually, I only promise it because I'm pretty sure that's just what I'll be doing at some point; I'm excited to be taking a 'basic shepherding' class and a sheep breed walk. This is a part of the festival that will be rather new for me.  I love that there are so many ways to participate in the festivities!

Happy May, and May your yarns be Happy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous that you're going to Maryland! The Shepherd's Harvest here is happening next weekend, but I just can't seem to find a way to clear my schedule to go. It actually makes me want to cry because I so desperately want to go to my first sheep and wool festival!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the yarn ~ love your cast on bit (it makes me swoon!)

    your leaves is looking wonderful

    pet a sheep (or two or three) for me ~ you 2 have a great time!!! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of both the Maryland Festival and that beautiful carrie for your spindle. Wonderful use of a yarn!

    ReplyDelete