Monday, June 17, 2013

Green Sweater Reveal!

It's time!  (And there's a slight breeze.)

Green Sweater
Um, my shirt has chest pockets with buttons.

Green Sweater
We can't all be perfect. But I still love the collar; don't be surprised if it turns up again.
Green Sweater
I friggin love that shoulder.

Green Sweater

Green Sweater
Meh. So the drastic shaping was probably a bit misled.

Green Sweater

I think I have a new favorite sweater.


Oh, yeah... I learned stuff. What did I learn?
(Warning: this is probably stuff you and everyone else already knows. Captain Obvious, and all that.)

Moving between positive and negative ease probably needs to be taken into account when adding shaping along the seam.  Or better yet, don't shape right along the seam... or only one side of the seam.

Maggie Righetti was right - add that extra inch to your planned sleeve length for a sleeve that extends below the elbow. (Or don't measure along the inside of your arm, which is bound to be the shortest length when you bend your arms.)

With a bit of planning, seaming can be a beautiful thing. Everyone should at least try it, at least with a practice swatch.  (Well, two swatches.) It's rather exciting.

Despite what sweater books may say on the cover, they're probably not the only book you'll ever need on the subject. Be willing to use your library system.

Taking a lot of time on the front end to plan well actually makes the process much quicker and is generally good for morale.

A lot of focus has been given to encouraging women to feel comfortable in their own bodies, and fitting women's sweaters in flattering ways. The fact that attention was being given primarily to female anatomy (bust and waist shaping) distracted me from the most important point -- the one that was right there in front of me. As a man, it's fine if I want a fitted sweater, so long as I'm honest about my body, too -- which in my case means acknowledging that little belly and knitting for it.


... Now I'm in sweater withdrawal. Luckily for me, I plan to make more!

5 comments:

  1. love it, crazy boy ~ if you worked the 'little belly' into the pattern, you did a great job...it's very well hidden :)

    summer doesn't start til Friday and you've already knit 1 of 3 so I think you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well don't you look dashing! I may have to borrow that collar, too. And I'm still in denial about my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a job well done to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! You do great work. And I wasn't going to mention your nip... button in the kinda odd place. HAve you tried it on without a bulky undershirt and just a T? How's the fit like that? I bet superb.

    ReplyDelete