Sunday, July 14, 2013

A couple finish lines and gratuitousness

First, a pair of socks that were on the needles for pretty much an entire year!

Longitudinal

Pattern: Longitudinal by Nicola Susen
Yarn: Schoppel-Wolle Crazy Zauberball

They are comfy like house socks, not like workhorse socks.
They're stretchy.  They're very easy, even boring knitting. Reasons they languished: I was knitting during slow points at work (multitasking, really) but the climate changed as residents became more high maintenance and I had to put first things first. Also, I got on that sweater kick, which was great for knitting around the folks at the home; they really enjoyed the process of the different pieces more than "Oh, did you finish that sock yet?"  I also think the needle I used was a bit short and stiff for the technique employed. Would I knit these again? I think I'd like to, on different needles and with a yarn I like the feel of better; I love the look of them, though.

Spinning update:

I met my first TdF goal - to spin up a sweater's worth, and to do it using a long draw technique. Whoop!

A Sweater's Worth

The colors in the above picture are fairly true. As you can see, the colors are not constant, and I am a bit nervous about how I'm gonna knit this up so it looks alright. I'm still debating my next sweater - I had a false start, and now I'm glad I didn't get too far. Jared Flood's crew at BrooklynTweed has come out with a delicious collection of men's knitting patterns! I want to knit a bunch of them. I'm wondering about using this handspun to knit Slade or perhaps to recreate (and tweak) my green sweater.

A Sweater's Worth

I still have my sock yarn on the spindle, and it's slower going than the woolen spinning I was doing on the wheel. 

Spinning in the rain

During one of our frequent rainstorms, I got a bit of time out on the porch with my Golding.

Spinning on the porch

You may no be able to see it, but when it rains, the front steps become little waterfalls; holding the fiber was all that prevented me from standing right in the middle of the rushing water. I do love a good rain in the summer!  Now for a gratuitous flower picture from the same evening:

Rose of Sharon in the rain

When I finished the brown yarn, I decided it was time for a little pick-me-up spinning. And pick me up it did!!

Color Fun!
No clowns were harmed in the making of this yarn. 

I took a braid given me by a friend a year or two back and laid it out to determine the color repeat. The gradient was divided into four and a smidge more sections, so I decided to keep with the woolen spinning idea and card it up. The rolags proved to be a delightful spin, and within the space of two movies, I had a full 4 ounces of yarn spun and plied! Okay, so the first movie was actually a miniseries. It's one of my nostalgic favorites from my youth. Can you identify the delightful scene above? Let's just say she drank the juice.

More yarn pics, because it's just so pretty:

Color Fun!

Color Fun!

Color Fun!

And a picture of our cat reveling in Jeff's spinning:
Untitled

The other morning I got out of bed and found Jake sprawled out like this with no good explanation other than sheer comfort. He sure makes it hard to hate cats.

2 comments:

  1. Dang, you're just cranking it out! That is some good looking yarn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the socks. You have some impressive spinning going one! I love that no clowns were hurt :) That was too funny.

    ReplyDelete