Friday, August 23, 2013

Musings from a Friday Afternoon

I had a very fun Friday afternoon at the home, alternating harp songs with readings from Dr. Seuss's If I Ran The Circus. It was one of those times when things just seemed to flow well (despite the usual interruptions), and I think the songs were as engaging as the energetic circus announcing. A couple of old English dances went off particularly well, considering that sometimes they end up in a muddled heap of notes. The next section in the book was about trapeze artists; it seemed the perfect follow-up to what felt like an aerial stunt on the harp.

Of course, the best part was the reaction from people who often are difficult to engage successfully. When a person who is usually restless and angry-- or a person who is usually apathetic and sleeps all day-- is nodding and laughing and cheering and clapping, I can't help but feel like I'm doing something right. I'm very grateful for the ability to engage them on such a level.  While it works best without the families present for some reason, I wish families could see their loved ones at such moments.

harp and quiver

One of the friends from knitting group made this felted bag for me in a knitting swap so that I could carry my music stand when I'm roaming with the harp through the nursing home. It works beautifully, and also saves me from having to keep the tuning equipment in my pockets during such ventures.  I still have faint impressions of being in Robin Hood's band of merry men when I wear it. Well, the yarn she used is Shepherd's Wool - so incredibly soft, even after felting - so that whim is tempered a bit.

Let's see, what else have I been up to?

I whipped out a modified Pterotactyl shawl using my handspun!
Handspun Pterotactyl

I selected the pattern because I love its wide wingspan, and I only had about 370 yards of a heavier-weight yarn. It worked pretty much perfectly, I'd say!

Handspun Pterotactyl

Handspun Pterotactyl

While I was still working on the shawl, I also got to do some lovely August knit-hiking in the Wissahickon Valley Park. It's in Philadelphia, but in the county sense versus the Center City sense. If you can get away to see it, I think you'll be pleased you did.

Wissahickon

Knittin' Wissahickon

Wissahickon

Wissahickon

Yes, I was actually knitting as I walked much of this path. Hooray for garter stitch!

Wissahickon Valley Park

Wissahickon

Knittin' Wissahickon

My favorite way to knit is by a stream or waterfall or other body of water. All the better if I can dangle my feet over a stone wall and watch the first signs of the approaching autumn drift downstream. 

Happy dregs of summer. With the cooler weather we had recently (excepting this week), I'm doing all I can not to jump out of my skin in anticipation of autumn!

5 comments:

  1. I think it's good that you've taken up knitting so that there's a sign of life while you sit by the streams & waterfalls

    no one will mistake you for dead anymore :)

    (I can't believe you walked that tree-rooted, rutted path with a dropoff while you were knitting ~ I would have ended up with skinned knees or even worse catapulted myself over the edge ~ yikes!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome photos, Will!

    I've been trying to resist the urge to "long" for autumn; trying to enjoy the last of the summer. Now, you given me permission to put myself in autumn mode! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much coolness in this post! I love the shawl, I love the hiking photos, I love the music stand bag...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad your day at the home with Dr Seuss and the harp were a success! You do wonderful work Sir. Both for the home and with your knitting and forest/stitch photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving all of the beautiful pictures! Your handspun looks lovely in that shawl as well :)

    ReplyDelete