Monday, October 14, 2013

Another one bites the dust

Did you think I dropped off the planet? Sometimes I feel like I did. But I actually have a couple FOs to share with you today!

From my Countdown Challenge, I submit my Shur'tugal socks:

Shur'tugal Socks

Begun in March of 2012, this pair of socks has languished on the needles for some time; it's not a bad pattern to knit, but it just took me a while. I enjoy when a sock's pattern repeat is large enough that it creates natural 'landmarks' by which to count pattern repeats when duplicating the first sock. This was one of those stitch patterns.

Shur'tugal Socks

The sock is knit in The Sanguine Gryphon Little Traveler, colorway Doune Castle. Ain't it lovely?

Shur'tugal Socks

Now for my second FO I submit something that does not count toward the Countdown Challenge: my finished Color Craving shawl!

Color Craving

Special thanks to Karen for volunteering to model the shawl. She saw me trying to take selfies, and just happened to be wearing the perfect color to match my shawl! I joke that I'm always on a quest to make my knits in colors that will be wearable, but I think I actually did it this time, and I'm delighted. I think Karen did a lovely job modeling, too - all while walking her cat!

Color Craving

I have dubbed it the Ladders of Doom shawl because many of the people participating in the KAL got hung up on its rungs ... in more than one way. 

Color Craving

Once I had finished knitting, the only mystery that remained was how to wear it. I spent a lot of time in front of both the mirror and my partner, getting stink-face and approving nods, but in the end I decided a very long triangle was more challenging to wear than I originally had anticipated. All these photos were taken in an off-the-cuff manner, but I like the general direction they are headed. I even threw it on like a scarf and did a sort-of tie thing. I kinda liked it, but I'd never be able to recreate it, so I then reversed the process to show a three-step instructional on how I got there. It's really pretty simple.

1. Drape:
Step 1

2. Wrap:

Step 2

3. Tie:

Color Craving

Oh look - it happened to kinda match my brown shirt, too! Double-whammy for today!
Yarns used: Brown is Madeline Tosh Sock 'Burnished'; Grey is Fleur de Fiber 'Cloudgate'; Red is Shibui Sock 'Pagoda'.

I'm ticking off the days until Rhinebeck... I can hardly believe it is this weekend! I'll probably be decked out in purple (it's a House Colors thing... okay, it's also an I-don't-know-when-to-stop thing), but I also expect to bring last year's Rhinebeck Sweater that didn't quite make it. Remember that reddish cardigan? Since the weather's cooled off, I've been loving it. My handspun Slade is in time out for some ridiculous issues with not taking notes on the changes I was making, and now it's been too long and I think I've done things in the wrong sizes... yeah, it just makes my head swim a bit. So rather than stress, I'll just wear the sweaters that I finished and bring a bit of closure to my red sweater.

I hope to see some of you there! I think the afternoons might afford a bit of knitting/spinning time on the hill, so feel free to drop by and show me what you've found. And if you want bring me a maple doughnut, I won't complain... 

3 comments:

  1. I love your socks and the scarf is great. I love your demo on how to wear it. Have fun for me in Rhinebeck I am so sad I can't go this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through a link via your Rav project page, as I liked how you had your color craving wrapped as a scarf. Thanks for showing the step by step and I like how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to Rhinebeck on Sunday. Hopefully I'll run into you there!

    ReplyDelete