Saturday, November 2, 2013

Beginning the Long Road To The Finish

I've finished Chart D on my Leaves Of Grass blanket!!!


Now it's on to that sprawling border!


In keeping with my LOG challenge to expose myself (and you) to more poetry, here's a video presenting a musical setting of a Latvian poem translated to English. The song is called "Long Road" - fitting, I think, for the idea of being so close and yet so far away. If you can take six minutes to listen, it's quite lovely.  I have been fortunate to hear this piece performed live several times, and I was struck each time by its soaring and wistful quality. The musical setting calls for a smaller choir that alternates with the larger choir, depicting the distance described in the text. You can read the poem's full text in the comments at this link. Enjoy!


"I love you night and day
As a star in the distant sky.
And I mourn for this one thing alone 
That to love, our lifetime was so short."
~ Paulina Barda

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read the poem yet but oh, my...the video

    my heart just about burst at the 3:30 mark ~ gorgeous piece (I miss singing in a choir!!) ~ thanks for sharing, Will

    ReplyDelete
  2. What yarn is that? I'm at a bluegrass festival in northern MN right now. I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely wonderful.
    Was a time I sang such things with a collegiate chorale. It seems so long ago, "As a star in the distant sky."
    Thank you Will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful.
    Was a time I sang such things with a collegiate chorale. It seems so long ago, "As a star in the distant sky."
    Thank you Will.

    ReplyDelete