Monday, May 19, 2014

Good intentions

Now that Louie Esteban (Louet S10) and I are on speaking terms, I have decided to do my own "Spin the Bin" challenge, though I am not participating in any group forum on the subject.

The idea is to fill a bin with fiber that you intend to spin up; each spin must be at least two ounces, and there must be at least twelve spins in the bin. Things can be added to the bin, but the only way to get things out of the bin is to spin it.

So here's my bin:


And here's what I have completed so far:


I'm not fond of how the bright skein turned out. My partner is the veteran spinner, and suggested that I take some twist out of the singles; I tried that with the leftover brown yarn and came up with a yarn that is much more pleasing. It's alright that it was a bit of a train wreck, though, because the next skein was a delicious success.

I've long been interested in spinning up this gorgeous braid of Finn wool dyed by Dan of Gnomespun Fibers:


When I was in Maryland, I also fell for this ridiculously bright Finn fiber:


Then I got the hair-brained idea that perhaps I could ply both colors together to brighten up the orange-green, and tone down the yellow-green.


I moved ahead with trepidation, but I love the end result:


That's over 1,000 yards of Finn 2-ply that I spun up! I am unsure how to knit it up, but it's not like I'm in a rush.

As you can see from my Spin The Bin, I am full of good intentions. I am trying to devote more of my time to harp and to reading as part of my studies for Bedside Harp, and spinning should be helpful for creating space to listen to some of the supplementary reading, thanks to the marvel of the audiobook.  

I've also always intended to share clips of my music on this blog, so here's me making good on that intention:


It's a bit rough; I'm not a YouTube star. I recorded a couple songs for my mom to send her on Mother's Day, propping my phone on a stool and MacGyver-ing a stand from a knick-knack and a bit of cardboard. So while the film quality and my playing are both lacking, I offer it for your enjoyment. I count myself fortunate to have you gracious folks reading my blog, and I thank you in advance for being kind. :)  The tune is Fanny Power, by Turlough O'Carolan.  Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I am soooo glad you shared this, Will ~ nothing lacking and nothing to be apologetic for (QUIT IT!!!) ~ it is a gorgeous piece and you played it beautifully

    brought a little tear to my eyes (music I love tends to have that affect on me so that should tell you something)

    I bet your mom was overjoyed ~ what a heartfelt gift for her from her son :)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! I loved it. The quality of the video was just fine! (How much did you have to pay the birds to sing along?) ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you share your videos. I tried to find your Danny Boy video to no avail. It was beautiful. As for spinning, it looks like you have a lot planned! I need to get back to it - I just bought two more fleece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! What a great talent to play the harp. I imagine it as a very soothing experience.
    The spinning is pretty good too. The bright skein could be used with charcoal very effectively.

    Bimbi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. lucky Mom......................

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Work. Both on the Finn and the Fanny.

    ReplyDelete